Blackberry Lemon Cake Roll
This melt-in-your-mouth fluffy and moist Blackberry Lemon Cake Roll is easier than you think. The cake batter has simply four ingredients and also the whipped blackberry icing is preposterously simple to create.
This cake solely feels like it took forever however very it's straightforward ingredients, comes along quickly and is unquestionably a show-stopping cake. Take a bite of this Blackberry Lemon Cake Roll and you’ll haven't any words, solely sound effects…. mmm…
The combination of blackberries and lemon simply makes my mouth water. P.S. You'll be able to create this cake roll daily beforehand, cowl and refrigerate and it'll be even as sensible subsequent day. hurrah for make-ahead desserts.
That topping appearance therefore pretty however it’s the best a part of the cake.
Sponge Cake Ingredients :
- 5 large eggs room temp
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
For the Lemon Syrup :
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 4 Tbsp fresh lemon juice from 1 med/large lemon
For the Blackberry Frosting :
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 8 Tbsp 113 grams unsalted butter, softened
- 6 oz blackberries chopped (reserving 6 whole berries to garnish)
Optional Garnish :
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream chilled
- 1 Tbsp powdered sugar
- 2 lemon slices cut into triangles
- Preheat oven to 350˚F. Line the bottom of an 18x13 baking sheet with parchment paper (do not grease).
- Add 5 eggs to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with whisk attachment and beat on high speed 1 min, or until foamy. Gradually add sugar and beat on high 7 min. It will be thick, fluffy and tripled in volume**
- Whisk together flour and baking powder and sift into egg batter one third at a time, folding to incorporate between each addition and scraping from the bottom to catch hidden flour pockets. Stop mixing when you no longer see streaks of flour.
- Transfer to lined baking sheet and bake right away at 350˚F for 13-15 min (mine took 15 min) or until top is golden. Remove from oven and right away run a thin edged spatula or knife around edges of your cake to loosen from the pan. While cake is hot***, invert cake face down onto a clean, dry linen towel, remove parchment paper then roll cake into the towel. Let cool to room temp (30 min - 1hr) in a draft free room.
- Meanwhile, combine all ingredients for lemon syrup (water, sugar, lemon juice), stir to dissolve sugar and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine 8 oz softened cream cheese, 8 Tbsp softened butter and 1 cup powdered sugar. Beat together starting on low speed to incorporate sugar, then turn the mixer up to high speed for 2-3 min or until whipped, white and fluffy, scraping down the bowl as needed. Add coarsely chopped blackberries and stir into cream with mixer on low, just until incorporated.
- Carefully Unroll cake and loosen from the towel. Brush the top evenly with your lemon syrup. Put dollops of blackberry frosting over the surface and spread evenly. Roll the cake tightly in the same direction you rolled it the first time. Slice off the edges if desired and dust generously with powdered sugar.
- For the topping, beat together 3/4 cup heavy cream with 1 Tbsp powdered sugar for 2 min on high speed until fluffy and spreadable. Transfer to a large piping bag with a large open star tip and pipe 6 flowers over the top, placing a fresh blackberry and lemon triangle into the center of each one.