Cheddar Stuffed Turkey Zucchini Meatballs
These turkey zucchini meatballs area unit filled with cheese and Italian seasoning then poached on the stovetop in pasta sauce sauce for a simple, sapid dinner.
Nothing quite brings a way of comfort to Pine Tree State the maximum amount as associate degree Italian dish dinner.
It conjures childhood reminiscences of my grandparents house on a Sunday, countless family, countless noise (usually from no matter sports game was on the TV and therefore the men yelling at it) and every one people deed with a completely belly to rest up for the varsity week ahead.
Those dish dinners tho' were a complete day event.
There was sauce that simmered for hours, meatballs that took nearly associate degree hour to roll once you’re change of state for 10-12 folks and a pot of water that appeared to take forever to return to a boil for the food.
Not to mention, all the shut down that came together with it.
These turkey zucchini dishs bring all the comforting Italian meatball reminiscences of my childhood with the convenience required for keeps nowadays.
They’re a throw, healthier choice than the beef/pork mix commonly used, they incorporate over a cup of zucchini for a seasonal spin however they’re additionally filled with a cube of Cabot cheese for a fun icky center that brings simply a small amount of that hearty degradation you wish during a dish dinner.
- 2 pounds lean ground turkey (93/7)
- 1 1/4 cup packed grated zucchini, squeezed of excess water
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs (use gluten-free if necessary)
- 4 ounces Cabot sharp cheddar cheese, cut into cubes (I cut into 32 small cubes)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 16 ounces jarred marinara sauce (use your favorite brand!)
- chopped fresh parsley for garnish
- Combine turkey, zucchini, garlic, salt, pepper, Italian seasoning and breadcrumbs in a large bowl.
- Mix until thoroughly combined.
- Using a medium cookie scoop or spoon, roll about 1.5 ounces of the mixture into ball shape.
- Press a cube on cheddar cheese into the middle of the meatball and reform the mixture around the cheese so it's completely wrapped. Set aside and repeat with the rest of the meatball mix. Makes about 28 meatballs at this size.
- Once meatballs are prepped (this can be done ahead of time and refrigerated until you're ready to cook), add olive oil to a large skillet over medium heat.
- Once hot, arrange the meatballs in the skillet and cook until browned on each side.
- Once browned all around, add the marinara sauce to the skillet and reduce heat to a low simmer.
- Simmer for about 5-7 minutes until meatballs are completely cooked through.
- Serve with pasta or spiralized squash noodles (as shown) and garnish with fresh parsley.